9.19.2011

Cease Recalling Disappointments

"Girl at a Window" painting by Valerie Pole
I had just spent some time and 2 pages (in my private journal) listing all the ways someone had disappointed me over the past few years when God spoke to me out of Psalm 48:13. The whole Psalm is speaking of the goodness of God. He does what he said he’d do! But those words in the Amplified version “cease recalling disappointments” stopped me in my tracks. 

We need to focus on the good points in people around us, especially those whom we love. This reminder from God helped me direct my thoughts to  the positive attributes of this person. Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies. Phil 4:8-9 


Those things which we magnify or draw attention to, whether in praise or criticism, in ourselves or those around us, grow. It’s a wonderful world. 



Let us focus on the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment