9.25.2011

Amazing Provision

I lived in Cape Town for a season. During this time I shared a house with a friend, Belinda. Every week, on a Friday, she would invite people from the local community to a stunning meal which she would prepare with grace and imagination. Belinda is an amazing cook, and she always managed to turn each meal into a festive celebration of life. But this particular week, the money had run out. Literally. I said to her, ok, let’s trust God. I know that when you pray, you need to be very specific in your requests. So we prayed according to Mark 11:23 ..whatever you ask for in prayer, believe – trust and be confident – that it is granted to you, and you will get it. We asked for provision for a stunning roast chicken and vegetables home cooked meal. In faith, we actually invited all the guests and told them to be there at 6pm on Friday for dinner.



It had been raining heavily for at least 3 days, but on the Thursday, I walked out to the postbox at the gate, and found a thick sodden envelope posted to me by my sister in England. Inside the envelope were six soggy R100 notes (about $100 at the time)! Enough to create the most spectacular meal for our Friday night celebration meal. The envelope must have been sitting in the post box for 3 days, it was so wet. My sister had said she didn’t get to change her currency at the airport so posted it to me. Well, frankly, it was a miracle the envelope wasn’t stolen on the way (which happens 99% of the time). But it reminded me of the verse “Before you called, I answered” because the answer to our prayer was already on its way at the time we prayed. This is that verse in the New Living Translation: I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers! Isaiah 65:24. 


Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment